Saturday, May 29, 2010

May 29, 2010 A normal glorious day

Today was a fairly normal Saturday. Get up, take the dog out, read the paper. Late in the morning I decided to clean off the top of the screen enclosure around the pool. Although most of the winter debris had blown off from the March and April winds, there was still some stuff that apparently was not going to blow away. I set the nozzle on the hose to "jet" and stood slightly back from the downcoming spray. I hit the screen roof with the spray and leaves, oak "worms" and pine straw flew, some straight up and out of sight but most to the next section of screen. My plan was to wash the bits and pieces up and over the peak of the roof, then off the side onto the ground. I made one pass parallel to the pool on the first section, then another pass back across, blowing the stuff across the peak and onto the down side. By this time, drops were falling like rain so I sat on the porch and waited for it to abate. I happened to glance up and beheld quite a sight.
There were hundreds of glittering jewels hanging from the screen roof. There were diamonds, rubies, emeralds, sapphires, all shimmering in the sun. As I watched and the droplets quivered in the sun, the jewels changed. Sapphires became emeralds, rubies became diamonds, and most amazing to me, diamonds changed to the most beautiful gold topaz. It was really a wonderful spectacle.

Perhaps this seems trivial, but I was struck by how God can take the most simple, the most mundane, and make it so glorious. I need to take more time to enjoy the little things and be content with what I have. God will take care of the rest.

Suddenly the job was fun! I looked forward to doing the next section and seeing another show.

Now, if only God will only make cleaning the toilets fun...

No comments:

Post a Comment