Thursday, April 22, 2010

First, a little background on why I am here. I came to Ocala, Florida for a six-week visit in November, 2009, just before Thanksgiving. My mom, stepdad, and brother have lived in this house for almost ten years and it is a perfect house. In the past six or seven years it has been a haven for me, a respite from many upheavals and hardships I have experienced since I had open-heart surgery and, as a result from a heparin reaction, lost both my legs mid-shin in 2002. My own health problems became secondary to other circumstances that have occurred since then, financial and personal situations that make getting away from home a joy. My stepdad passed away on November 15, 2007, and now it's my mom, Loraine, and my younger brother, Britt. I was looking forward to a wonderful Thanksgiving and Christmas with them.

Our first big outing was Thanksgiving dinner at The Ivey House in Williston, Florida. Joyce, a friend of theirs, went with us, and we all enjoyed a traditional Thanksgiving dinner and it was really good. We WILL be going back there to eat again.

On December 9, I think, Mom had an episode of chest pain. She refused to go to the hospital but a couple of hours later she had another one and decided something needed to be done. We drove to the emergency room at Munro Regional Medical Center and they admitted her. Two days later she had open-heart surgery at age 90. I had planned to leave right after New Year's but stayed until mid-January until she recovered enough for me to leave. I had to return to Semmes and handle business. Mainly I just gathered up stuff to bring back here since they had asked me to come and live with them basically. So in mid-February I came "home".
Of course, I have always enjoyed my visits with my family, but I also have come to love this area. Ocala and surrounding environs are beautiful with the magnificent horse farms, parks, forests, and numerous other natural attractions. I feel that this is a gift from God to be able to come and spend time with my mom and my brother. If this is His plan, then I pray that He shows me what to do with this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment